Trains and Things
During my research, I came across interesting facts about trains.
- Electric locomotives are the most powerful.
- Trains are…
- built to transport passengers or cargo.
- built for a range of purposes and environments.
- powered by different energy sources.
- Early trains relied on ropes, horses or gravity.
- Steam locomotives were invented in the 19th century.
- Diesel and electric locomotives were invented in the 20th century.
- The first underground railway system was in London.
- The longest train station in England is over 600 meters long, which is equivalent to six football fields!
- The Great Depression of the 1930s almost managed to completely destroy the U.S. railway industry.
- Grand Central Station in New York has 44 passenger platforms.
- Currently, the U.S. has less than 170,000 miles of railways, but in 1916 there were 254,000 miles of railways.